The Newstead Tennis & Squash Centre is a not for profit incorporated association with membership open to the public.
The Centre has a licensed bar and the clubhouse is regularly used for private functions. Social members also organise functions on behalf of all members.
Many community groups and clubs use the club’s facilities.
We are proud of our involvement with the local community and are pleased to share our facilities with other not for profit associations and groups.
1899 - Founded
The Newstead Tennis & Squash Centre was founded in 1899 as the Northern Tasmanian Lawn Tennis Association.
The purpose of the association was to coordinate tennis activities in the Launceston area and this role continued for almost 100 years.In 1998 the Association was instrumental in forming a new body to coordinate tennis in northern Tasmania with the foundation of Tennis North.
1925 - Relocation to Olive St
The club was initially located on land near the current NTCA ground and purchased land at the current site of Olive Street Newstead in 1925. Three asphalt tennis courts were built shortly after with the official opening occurring in January 1926. The asphalt courts were later replaced with en-tout-cas (clay) courts and these were in turn replaced with artificial grass courts.
Over the years, many tennis legends have graced our courts including Harry Hopman, Frank Sedgman, Ken Rosewall, Margaret Smith (Court) and Evon Goolagong (Cawley) to name but a few. The association was the main tennis centre in Launceston until the recently developed Regional Tennis Centre was built.
1950 - Squash
In the mid 1950’s two squash courts were built and major renovations have been carried out over the past year.
Squash members with ages ranging from early teens to early eighties enjoy competing in rosters.
A growing number of girls and ladies are involved and they match it very well with the boys.
All skill levels from beginners to experienced are catered for and rosters ensure that players are matched against opponents of similar ability.
2008 - Restructure
In 2008, the club sold 4 of its 8 courts in order to fund major upgrades to the remaining courts and clubrooms and today has 2 artificial grass courts and 2 hard courts.
2016 - New Front Walls
Although the squash front walls had been repaired over the past decades, after almost 50 years in use it was time to replace them. In addition to the new front walls, one floor was replaced as well.